Our McFarland History from Scotland to Texas
McFarlands in Texas
By Mary Helen Haines ©2011
Texas had just won its independence from Mexico in March, 1836 and the new republic was a prime place to find new, cheap land. The new government proclaimed that heads of families who arrived in the Texas Republic by October 1837 could claim 1280 acres (two square miles). Our ancestor James E. McFarland arrived just in the nick of time in September 1837. His oldest son, A. (Andrew) Jackson, just turned 20 and single, was allowed to claim 320 acres at this time. James’ land was just north of the Sulphur River on gently rolling hills. Jackson’s was just south of the river. Brothers Albert and Jasper were soon old enough to make land claims as well. It was in the last months of 1837 that the area they moved into was recognized as the 11th county in Texas. Fannin County was named after James Walker Fannin, the elected Colonel of the Texas Revolutionary forces at Goliad, who was captured by Santa Anna’s forces and executed by a firing squad in 1836.
The only problem with moving into this prime black-land prairie was that the local Indian inhabitants were not too eager to see those McFarlands heading into their territory. Two years earlier, Isaac Lyday from White Co. Tennessee (a neighbor to the Hills and Merediths), came to Texas, while it was still a part of Mexico, with the two-fold purpose of gaining control of this wilderness for the Mexican government, and to acquire cheap land for himself and his brothers. In the interim, Cherokee Indians, displaced from their native lands in Alabama and Georgia, had moved into East Texas displacing the Caddo. Promised land by Sam Houston if they stayed neutral in the fight for Texas independence, the Cherokees found those promises shattered by the new Texas Senate, which saw no need to fulfill those agreements. Indian raids led to Isaac Lyday building a fort in 1836, Ft. DeKalb (now known after its founder as Ft. Lyday), near present-day Dial, Texas to provide a safe haven for new settlers to this area. This became the temporary home to fourteen families of settlers who had just moved to this area: the families of James McFarland, Daniel Davis, Wiley B. Merrill, Frank McCowan, David Waggoner, and Larkin Rattan to name a few. It was the only safe place to be until the Cherokees were defeated and pushed into Indian Territory (Oklahoma). James, Jackson, and Albert all received signed documents from Capt. Isaac Lyday and Jonathon Dyer, Brig. Gen. of the 4th Brigade confirming their volunteer service to the Texas Rangers for three months, ending Nov. 1838. Jackson also served as 1st Lt. under Capt. Lyday in 1839 and 1840 according to Republic of Texas payment records for $180.00 issued in 1853.
In 1838, James and A. Jackson McFarland were granted citizenship by the Republic of Texas and both formally received their land grants in 1845, the last year of the Republic. Anson Jones, the last president of the Republic, signed the grants. Jackson received another 320 acres at that time and purchased the Reuben Brown land grant of 640 acres as well.
James McFarland and Daniel Davis were the earliest settlers in this area, Davis arriving in 1836 (therefore allowed to claim a much larger grant than James who came in 1837.) The size of these early grants allowed the men to provide plenty of land for their siblings, children and children’s spouses, who moved into the area shortly after.
We can only imagine the hardships of settling on unbroken land, building their homes from scratch, trying to avoid Indian attacks, and not dying in childbirth. Jackson was present at Daniel Davis’ home along with other members of a scouting party from Ft. DeKalb who were asleep at Davis’ place when an Indian attack at daybreak left Davis dead. This most likely occurred in November, 1839. It seems Davis had left Ft. DeKalb 12 days before, thinking it safe to go back to the home he had built, and then abandoned in December, 1838 because of the Indian raids. His family was then moved to James McFarland’s place for safety. Jackson was also in Denton County when Capt. John Denton was killed in 1841 in another attack. One story that has been passed down from Audrey McFarland Churchwell is that several Indians and McFarlands died in an Indian raid on the early settlement. When the Indians returned to gather their dead, they were already buried in what is known to us today as the McFarland cemetery. The Indians therefore announced a truce with the McFarlands because the “dead were buried with the dead.”
Republic of Texas Military Documents:
James McFarland’s service at Ft. Decalb (DeKalb)
Jackson McFarland’s certificate of pay for service to the Republic as a
First Lt. in Capt. Lyday’s Co. of Rangers 1839-1840
Certificates for their service as Rangers were issued to James, Jackson, and Albert McFarland. This generation was the first to have McFarlands die on Texas soil, and that might explain some of the missing sons and early deaths we have no record of today. A very likely casualty is James and Jane’s son, John Ewing McFarland, although there is no marked gravesite today. James and Jane were able to file a land claim as “the heirs of John Ewing McFarland” indicating he moved to Texas with them, and died very early, before the 1840 census. The oldest marked grave that can still be seen is the grave of William McFarland, a son of James and Jane who died in 1852 at age 17. This late date would indicate an illness rather than an Indian attack.
James McFarland and Daniel Davis are credited with establishing the town of Ladonia around 1840. They are given this designation because they were the first settlers in the immediate area, although the town itself was not founded before Davis’ death. Daniel Davis died before 1840, as discussed above, and James lived north of what became Ladonia, however James’ sons, Jackson and Albert, had land claims in and around the town. According to family information published in the 1914 book A History of Texas and Texans, by Frank W. Johnson, James was one of the early Justices of Peace in this area and he is recorded as being a land commissioner for Fannin County from 1852 to 1858.
A new highway, the Central National Road, was commissioned by the Texas Republic’s government. It ran from present day Rockwall, through Collin County, missing Greenville and Wolfe City, but passed through Ladonia on its way to Ft. Lyday and Paris. This helped Ladonia become a center for business in later years.
Before Ladonia became a boomtown, however, the town started very simply with the establishment by Frank McCowan of a general store and tavern, and in 1860 the present square was laid out. A couple of miles north of the town, in the 1850 census, James and Jane McFarland were in one household with their unmarried children and their married children were living nearby. Howard Etheridge from Mississippi (36) was married to Anna McF. (27) with 4 children. Elijah Scott Sebastian (24) from St. Francois Co. Missouri was married to Sarah McF. (29), and A. Jackson McF.(33) had married Artemissa Pence(20) in 1846 and had 2 children in the house, James Franklin (2) and John Ewing(1). Jackson was not living on any of the land grants he received; instead he made his home on the 640 acres he bought from Reuben Brown, northwest of James’ land grant. His home was closer to the Flag Springs Community, and Jackson was one of the founding trustees of the Flag Springs church which was organized in 1853 by the Methodists and Baptists in the area. (Hodge, 65-66)
More McFarlands had moved into the area. Another very early settler was Samuel McFarland, born in Ireland, who moved here in 1838 and married Desina Kerr from Tennessee on May 15, 1838. (For the Hill relatives, the Kerrs from White County Tennessee are also connected and a good number moved to Fannin and Collin Counties during this time period.) In the 1840 census of the Republic, Samuel McFarland, born in Ireland, is listed next to James and Jackson, with 640 acres to his name. He probably was related, but that connection is not known. He was very prominent in early government and served as the county tax assessor in 1869 and represented this area at the Republic’s capitol. His signature is on a tax receipt collected from Jackson McF. Another McFarland family that settled in Fannin County is James O. McFarland, born in Greene County, Tennessee in 1827, whose father was born in Ireland. James O. settled in the Orangeville area of the county. Again, if there is a physical relation, it is lost to us today.
James’ older brother, John 4 (aged 63), also moved here with his wife Mary Fleming McFarland sometime before 1850. They probably traveled with their married children: Louisa married to Robert Stanhope Cox, Elizabeth married to Francois Paul DeGuire (who had first been married to her sister Sophia who died after her first child), Mary Emily married to James Newton Pettit, and Rebecca married to Robert Holmes Lane. John purchased the James McConnell claim of 640 acres just north of the Reuben Brown claim, where Jackson made his home. Whatever happened to his son, John (5) reportedly born in 1828, is unknown at this time. John (4) and Mary’s eldest son, Newton, had died in Missouri in 1847, but the grandchildren’s names appear in John (4)’s estate settlement, and one of them, Charles, must have spent time living in Fannin County between Missouri and his move to Coleman County in west Texas. He was called by “Flat-land Charlie” by his cousins in Fannin County according to Ethel McFarland’s memories from her father, Cyrus Sylvester (Bose). For more information concerning John and his legal transactions, see Chapter Nine “Land Issues Concerning John McFarland
and His Children in Texas.”
Nancy Caroline, the sister of James and John, also moved here from Missouri with her husband Alexander Carson Sloan, and three children, sometime between 1850 and 1860. On the 1860 census they are shown living next to John in Beat 5. There is a creek on the road to Bonham from Dodd City called Sloan’s Creek and Nancy Caroline and her husband are buried at Shilo Cemetery nearby. I don’t think there is a connection with the other Sloan families in Fannin County. I tried to visit the cemetery, but it is not visible from the road and reputed to be in bad condition.
Other families that settled nearby were the Williams and the Sebastians from Missouri, the Hulseys and Cunninghams from Georgia, the Terrys, Pences, Rattans, and Waggoners who came from Greene and Jersey counties in Illinois before Texas.
Mary Fleming McFarland died in 1855 at age 70 and her husband John died in 1874 at age 88. Her original tombstone can barely be read, but it is in the oldest section of Oak Ridge Cemetery. Mary’s burial was probably one of the very first in this location-it is the earliest one that still exists. This cemetery is part of Daniel Davis’ survey- how it came to used as a cemetery is unknown. There is another tombstone in the style of Mary’s, next to hers, but it is completely unreadable. I assume it is her husband’s, John McFarland. There is another standing tombstone that was made at some later date for John, and is readable, but broken. Their daughter, Mary Emily Pettit, is buried next to them. Mary Emily’s daughter, Lucinda Pettit married John Wesley Hulsey, Jr., whose grandfather Joel had moved his family to Texas in 1852. The John Wesley Hulsey Sr. family sold two acres from the Daniel Davis survey for $20.00 to trustees to establish a school and cemetery. Arthur McFarland, whose land adjoined the area, was one of the trustees. One acre became the Oak Ridge Cemetery in 1878, four years after John’s burial there.
James died October 18, 1871, at 76 years of age. His wife, Jane, died the following year on May 14, 1872, 71 years old. They are buried in the southeast corner of his land grant, just north of the Sulphur River in the McFarland Cemetery. Tucked in the middle of pastureland is a small grove of trees that form a shaded canopy for the 70 by 70 ft cemetery. It is a beautiful restful spot, cooled by breezes even on a hot July day. Even though the land surrounding it has been sold to other people, the graveyard is maintained with funds donated by various descendants over the years. Presently Robert Wayne Milton takes care of its upkeep, while the Breedlove descendants oversee its care. Hopefully, McFarland descendants will always remember it. In July, 2002, Billy Rattan was responsible for putting up a sign designating the cemetery. Mary Helen Haines did the background research so it could be recognized by the Texas State Historical Society. Agnes Breedlove paid for the beautiful monument, and Rhonda Shinpaugh’s family put it in place. On May 30, 2004, McFarland descendants from all over the U.S. gathered to dedicate the marker and honor their ancestors. In January 2005 a time capsule was buried near the large gate to be dug up by McFarlands in May 2025. Nancy Breedlove Ballard’s family put in new fencing.
Historic McFarland Cemetery
Andrew Jackson (who everyone called Jackson) McFarland was born September 3, 1817 in Ste. Genevieve Co., Missouri. In 1820 this section of the county became St. Francois County. He traveled with his family to Texas in 1837, laid claim to 640 acres near his father’s claim and quickly purchased more. Shortly after being granted his patent by the Republic, he married Artimissa Pence on July 13, 1845. Artimissa (or Artemissa, depending on the document) was born March 2, 1829 in Breckenridge Co., Kentucky, the daughter of John Pence (b. May 13, 1793-died Feb. 18, 1865 in Hunt Co. TX) and Nancy Ann Waggoner (b. March 2, 1796 in Montgomery Co., Virginia-died Feb. 13, 1860 in Hunt Co. TX). Artimissa and Jackson had 5 children-a rather remarkable fact in the days of children being born every 2 years. Another remarkable fact-this generation stayed put in Fannin County.
James Franklin: August 9, 1847 in Fannin Co., Texas. Married Mary Jane Harper. Died Feb. 4, 1917, buried in McFarland lot of the Ladonia Cemetery, behind the old Presbyterian Church.
John Ewing: April 9, 1849 in Fannin Co., Texas. Married cousin Nancy Bayless Horn. Died September 13, 1927. Buried in McFarland lot of the Ladonia Cemetery.
Nancy Jane: January 2, 1851 in Fannin Co., Texas. Married William Wylie Cunningham. Died February 14, 1924. Buried in Hulsey section at Oak Ridge Cemetery. Her descendants live on Jackson’s property.
Newton Jackson: December 29, 1857 in Fannin Co., Texas. Married 4 times. Died May 15, 1944. Buried in McFarland lot in Ladonia Cemetery.
Cyrus Sylvester: March 1, 1865 in Fannin Co., Texas. Married Susie M. Lee. Ran the Jackson McFarland General Merchandise Co. in Ladonia. Died September 5, 1925. Buried in McFarland lot in Ladonia Cemetery.
As each son reached maturity, the 6th generation sons received land patents to acreage in Fannin and Hunt Counties. Albert acquired 320 acres in 1852 and added another 125 acres in 1859. Jasper received 177 in 1857 and then added 41 acres much later in Hunt Co. in 1887. Both Albert and Jasper appear in the Hunt Co. census in 1860 with their growing families. Cotton was a growing commodity for the Fannin Co. area and the McFarlands were involved in its production. Ladonia grew into a distribution center with mills and transportation businesses.
The Civil War was the most significant and catastrophic event of this generation. In the 1860 census James McFarland was still alive at 66 years with wife Jane at 59. The youngest children, Newton (20) and Arthur R. (15) were still living at home. According to an article written in the early 1900s about our family, father James was a Baptist and against secession, however six of his eight sons decided they should join the war in various capacities. William and John Ewing were dead before the war, so all of James’s living sons served the Confederacy during the war.
Maybe James Sr.’ advanced age gave him a clearer vision of what disaster this war could bring. Did the sons fight for the right to own slaves? That is hard to say since we have no written documents of their thinking. We know that Jackson McFarland’s tax receipt for 1857 property taxes says he owned 1320 acres, 7 Negroes, 18 horses, 100 cattle and one…(something unreadable), and in the 1860 census record, James is recorded as owning two people. In looking at the census slave records, the McFarlands of Fannin County were small potatoes in the slave-owning business—Thank goodness! Slavery is a very hard concept to begin to comprehend in our own time. The people who once were slaves, however, took the McFarland name after the war and some stayed in the area. The 1880 census has a family of black McFarlands living near Jackson and John. In checking on all McFarlands who fought in the Civil War, there were members on both sides, however the vast majority was in the South.
Before the Confederate army was officially organized, eight companies were organized to be the Fannin County Militia. They were called the 14th Brigade of Independent Mounted Volunteers, commanded by Col. Samuel A. Roberts and organized by General Ben McCullouch. They were planning to fight in Missouri and drive the Unionists out. I can well imagine the enthusiasm that provoked among the men who had just moved here from Missouri, especially the McFarland sons, who had many first cousins living in Missouri still. This brigade never actually fought as the 14th, and instead its members ended up serving in other divisions.
Pinning down who served where is especially hard because when the men enlisted in Fannin Co. and other parts of Texas, they only gave their first initial instead of their full name. On July 6, 1861, a J.R. McFarland, age 28, signed up in Ladonia to be a part of George W. Merrick’s Company. This corresponds to our James, the 9th child of James and Jane. His line did not continue and he has no gravesite that we know of. His full name was probably James Robert, which will be repeated in the next generation by James Franklin’s son. With J.R. were many neighbors, five of the Terry family, five of the Merrill, and two Hulsey men. It is assumed that this J.R. is the same Jim that Lee Cunningham told about (story to follow).
Also on July 6, 1861 a J. McFarland, age 43, enlisted in Capt. John W. Piner’s (a neighbor, whose name appears later on a tax receipt Jackson kept) Company in Honey Grove. The only McFarland in Fannin Co., whose age corresponds, is our own Jackson. Elijah Sebastian, Jackson’s son-in-law also joined this unit on that day. The 14th never became active, and when the formal CSA units were organized, Jackson was over age. In 1864 Jackson served two six-month tours, one for the Texas State Troops, and another for The Texas Reserve Corps Infantry of the CSA. He kept several documents granting leave so he could bring in his crops. He did what many Texas farmers did during the war; grow wheat and corn for the Confederacy, which he was paid for in good ol’ Confederate promissory notes. Our Andrew Jackson McFarland fared much better than his first cousin Andrew Jackson McF. in Missouri. That Andrew Jackson, born in 1828, son of William Bell McF. died in 1862 as a P.O.W. in a federal prison.
Not wanting to be left out, Jackson’s son James Franklin at age 16 did guard duty at a temporary prison in Bonham for a short time during the last months of the war under the command of Captain “Zoke” William. He appears on a list of Fannin County veterans as part of the command of G.H. Fox of Company G, Alexander’s Regiment, William Company. It seems that soldiers were deserting like crazy in the end, and some commanders thought they should lock them up.
George W. Merrick, the neighbor who started out commanding a unit of the 14th Brigade, ended up commanding the 22nd Texas Cavalry as a Lt. Colonel by the end of the war. Also listed in the 22nd Cavalry, Company C is Albert McFarland, J.R. McFarland, and Arthur McFarland. Many names that appear in our family tree were also in this unit: Granville Cross, John Deaver, Howard Etheridge, George Wilkerson, Wiley and William H. Hulsey, David Hampton Rattan, and neighbors such as the Cummins and Frys.
Arthur was too young (17) to stay in the CSA when the conscription law was passed in April, 1862; however, he joined the 31st Texas Cavalry in August 9, 1862 with brothers Newton and Jasper shortly before his 18th birthday. Arthur’s granddaughter, Loma Patton, had a monument placed in the McFarland graveyard in the 1960s that commemorates his service, although he is buried in Oklahoma.
The 22nd, 31st, and 34th Cavalry Units appeared in most of the same battles in Indian Territory, Arkansas, and briefly in Missouri, as well as participated in the Red River Campaign in Louisiana toward the end of the war. This campaign was fought to keep the river open as a trade route through Shreveport, the capital of Louisiana for the Confederacy. All units participated in the Battle of Mansfield, in April, 1864, the last major victory for the Confederacy during the war.
The daughter of L. T. Cunningham and Mary Jane McFarland, Julia Cunningham Stoddard, related to Lola McFarland that Lee and Uncle Jim (which would have been James R. McF.) went to war together. L.T. Cunningham is on the roster for the 34th Texas Cavalry. He told his family that as they were trying to get home after the war had ended, they were starving. They were so hungry that Jim ate green corn from a field and died as the result. Albert McFarland died early in the war, in April 1862 of unknown causes. (For a more detailed account of their Civil War records and campaigns, see Ch. 7)
Even though the McFarlands were spared the horrors of the battlefields like Gettysburg and Shiloh, many of the men were affected by these times. Even if they did not die in the war, their lives were considerably shorter than previous generations. Newton died at 33, and Arthur at 55. The women, left alone with small children to raise and farms to plant and harvest, also suffered greatly during these trying times. S. (Sarah) Sebastian (3 in family), Harper (6 in family), as well as three Hulsey families appear on a list of indigent families applying for aid in February, 1865 in Fannin County.
Slowly things began to recover in the 1870s. Jackson, who kept every piece of written document that came his way, applied for membership to the local Masonic Lodge (Bethel #134) in 1867. He was accepted and his tombstone is inscribed with the Masonic symbol. The Jackson McFarland Co. General Merchandise Co. was established in Ladonia in 1877, which shows that the family was beginning to think about developing other pursuits beside farming. There must have been a connection with the land, however, because tokens were minted for use in purchasing goods from the store, and I imagine that employees and tenant farmers received at least part of their pay in these tokens. Jackson’s son, Cyrus Sylvester “Bose” took over as manager and principle owner of the store from 1902 until his death in 1925. The books of the store’s transactions end that same year.
Front and back view of the McFarland Store token
In the 1870 census, Sarah McF. Sebastian (50) and 4 children: Franklin (17), Elmirey (6), and Jefferson (9) Sebastian, and James Tucker (17) the son of Cynthia Anne McF. and James Tucker, were with James and Jane McFarland, now 76 and 69 . Sarah’s husband Elijah Scott died in 1863, probably in the war-he also served in Merrick’s Company. Still neighbors were Anna, her husband Howard Etheridge and now 5 children, as well as Newt McF. (29) married to Sarah C. Tucker (28) and their 4, and then Arthur (26) on his land with wife Mary Ellen Terry Chamlee (30) and their 3 children (the two oldest from a previous marriage she had to J. Frank Chamlee). In 1878, Arthur’s name appears as one of the original trustees for a school and cemetery to be established at Oak Ridge on land deeded from John Wesley Hulsey, Sr. (John Wesley Hulsey, Jr. married Lucinda Pettit, the granddaughter of John and Mary F. McFarland). Soon after, the Oak Ridge Church of Christ, across from the burial ground where John and Mary F. McFarland were interred, was established, with Jackson and Artemissa among the charter members.
The family endured quite a struggle when father James died in 1871 without leaving a will. Although he and Jane had dispensed most of the original land grant to their married daughters and youngest sons, there was still approximately 302 acres left. All the children came up with an agreement how they would dispense the inheritance, but Jane decided to write a will that left the land to her two youngest sons, Newton and Arthur. Jane died in May, 1872 and the “fun” began. Newton died in September, 1872, leaving his heirs and brother Arthur in the awkward position of trying to get the rest of the siblings to accept mother Jane’s last wishes. Lawsuit after lawsuit followed involving all the children and the heirs of Albert and Newton. In the end, Jackson, who was the largest land owner of all, bought out everyone else’s interests in the inheritance, and finally, in 1878, Arthur was ordered by the court to sell the contested land, which he did in a closed sale to Jackson. Jackson paid around $6.00 an acre (the going rate) for the 302 acres of the original land grant. The 302 acres, site of James and Jane’s original home and the McFarland cemetery, were given by Jackson to his son Newton Jackson, who passed it to his son, Ambrose Sylvester.
Arthur used his stake to move to Coleman County, Texas where he joined his Missouri cousin Charles Newton McFarland (grandson of John (4) McFarland), and Joel Thomas Hulsey from Fannin County. This area was just opening up for settlement and Arthur applied for a 160 acre grant in 1881. He received the grant in 1884 after three years of occupation and then quickly sold it. Mary E. Terry McFarland, his wife, purchased a land grant nearby in 1882, and Arthur served as Justice of the Peace, officiating at several marriages in the county. It seems the family moved on to Oklahoma soon after 1880. That is the year that Arthur grants 57 acres to his step-daughter. (A detailed account of the land issues of the McFarlands is included in Chapters 8 and 9)
In 1886 a railroad connection was built to connect Paris to Honey Grove to Ladonia to Dallas. This really helped Ladonia grow and it continued to run up through the 1950s. Lola McFarland (8th generation) made films of the grandchildren (10th gen.) arriving at the Ladonia station from Dallas for a visit to the farm and Lola’s brother, Uncle Doc (James A. McFarland-brother of Lola), wrote entertaining stories about his adventures as a young boy riding the train into Dallas to visit the State Fair.
Jackson McFarland died August 14, 1883, and was buried near his parents in the McFarland Cemetery. The home place of Jackson and Artimissa passed on to Nancy Jane McF. Cunningham and part of the land is still in the hands of their descendants today, Rhonda Kay Cunningham Shinpaugh, her husband and two children. The original frame home was torn down and replaced with a modern structure. Artimissa’s son, James Franklin, built her a small house in back of the house where he and Mary Jane lived so she would be nearby, but not in the same house as the growing brood of the 8th generation. Her last years, however, were spent living with her daughter Nancy Jane Cunningham’s family. Although the 1888 home of James Franklin and Mary Jane is still standing, like most of the other McFarland homes, the property has been sold and is in other hands. Artimissa’s small house has been moved from behind the James Franklin homestead to a place across the road. Artimissa died July 6, 1907, sixty-eight years old, and joined her husband and in-laws at the McFarland cemetery.
Our McFarland Ancestors
who journeyed from Tennessee to North Carolina to Missouri to Texas
James E. and Jane Jackson McFarland
This picture is owned by Rhonda Cunningham Shinpaugh. It was part of a collection of family paintings and images owned by Artimissa Pence McFarland. It is the only image of Jane, but James had several, and this matches the other images
The next three images are owned by Debra Schafer, a descendant of Nancy Caroline McFarland Sloan. These are of the siblings who moved to Texas. On the backs of the pictures, they were labeled as James, John, and then Nancy and husband Alexander Carson Sloan.
Eldest child of James E. and Jane McFarland
Andrew Jackson McFarland and wife Artimissa Pence
Original home from the 1850s
Artemissa McFarland in front of her new home in 1897
Ch. 6: Texas
There are many records and objects that are still owned by various family members. The McFarland Family Bible is the source for many of the birth and death dates that are not available through other records. This Bible has entries recorded in hand by James McFarland and Artimissa Pence McFarland. It is presently owned by the Breedlove family descendants. They also have the original copy of the James McFarland deed.
Jackson McFarland kept many personal documents: deed, tax receipts, Civil War service. The originals were turned over to the Barker Texas History Center in Austin and San Antonio Institute of Texan Cultures to be preserved and shared.
Connections to the various families, the Hulseys, Pettits, Sebastians, Wilkersons, and Bartleys were made more complete by sharing family trees and family publications with descendants of these lines.
In the 1960s there was a flurry of McFarland research going on by three remarkable women: Lola McFarland Hill (my grandmother), Loma Scroggins Patton, and Frances Terry Ingmire. The women were in contact with each other, and each produced her own manuscript. In Frances Terry Ingmire’s case, she went on to full-fledged publication of many books of transcribed records she encountered while researching her roots. Lola was the daughter of James Franklin McFarland. Loma was the granddaughter of Arthur McFarland and Mary Ellen Terry, and Frances was a descendant of Arthur’s sister, Mary Jane McFarland and her husband, William Robert Terry. Their common bond was James E. McFarland.
More about Nancy Caroline McFarland:
She married Alexander Carson Sloan in 1829 in Cooper Co. MO. She must have been visiting McFarland cousins who had settled in the area after moving on from the Ste. Genevieve Co. area. While living in the area of New Lebanon township, they had eight known children: Missouri Ann (1831), Permelia Jane (1834), Cordelia Jasper (1836), Arminta Rebecca (1842), Olymphias Catharine (1844), Alexander Carson Jr. (1846), Josephine (1848), and Charles Davis (1853). When the family moved to Fannin County, most of the living children moved as well. Missouri Ann with her husband William Marshall Jones, lived in Dodd City. Olymphias married James Know Polk Terry (son of Robert N. Terry), and Charles Davis married Una Isabell Scott. Their descendant Debra Schafer has developed this family tree.
Ch. 6: Texas
Burleson, Muriel. Ed. Recollections of Ladonia: The Town and Its People. Feb. 1991
Breedlove, Agnes McFarland. Personal recollections. 2002
Fannin County Folks and Facts. Taylor Publishing Company. Bonham Public Library. 1977.
Fannin County, Texas, Federal Population Census. 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880.
Fannin County genealogy website: http://www.rootsweb.com/~txfannin
Hill, Lola McFarland. A Collection of Facts and Fancies of the Family of James Franklin McFarland and Mary Jane Harper McFarland. 1966
History of Fannin County, Texas, 1836-1843. Southwestern Historical Quarterly. pp. 296-297. (found at Samuel Rayburn Library in Bonham)
Hodge, Floy Crandall. A History of Fannin County. Pioneer Publishers, 1966.
Ingmire, Frances Terry. compiled. Fannin County, Texas Land Titles. Bonham Public Library, 1979.
Ingmire, Frances Terry. Terry and Allied Families Vol. III. 1983. Bonham Public Library
Ingmire, Frances Terry. Marriage Records of Fannin Co. Texas, 1836-1870., 1976.
Johnson, Frank W. “James Franklin McFarland” A History of Texas and Texans. The American Historical Society. 1914
Patton, Loma. The Warm Heart. Self-published. 1964 (The Scroggins Family)
Raney, Don, “Ft. Lyday, Fannin County, Texas: Indian Raids on the Red River Frontier.” DGS Newsletter. Volume 21, Number 1, January 1997.
Scott, Tom. Ed., "Fannin County: The Early Years-Land Grants, Bounty Warrants, Muster Rolls, and Tax Rolls: 1836-1840". Fannin Co. Genealogical Quarterly. 1982.
Scott, Tom, Ed. Slave Records of Fannin Co. 1996
The 1840 Census of Republic of Texas. Pemberton Press. Austin. 1966. Dallas Public Library
White, Gifford. Transcriber. Minutes of the Board of Land Commissioners, Fannin Co. Texas 1838-1840. 1981.